Tuesday, October 8, 2013

14. A month on...

Wow. Time flies.

Since we are now into the second month, us interns are left on our own to work independently. We all have our own chunk of land to develop and grow what we want. The rainy season is almost done, so it will be better as we can do as we please. After all, it is our opportunity to experiment first hand, not be told how to do it. That said, there are enough resources (people!) to help us out should we have questions or need assistance with all aspects of sprouting, preparing garden beds, planting, watering, weeding, and so on and so forth.

I took the Good Reverend's advice and gathered as much chicken poop I could find- 2 large sacks full- and redid my garden beds with plenty of compost, chicken poop and some sawdust. Only one plant sprouted last week, purple corn, so I saved that one and replanted the green soy, yellow soy, and pinto beans. I also added some red okra to the edges of the bed. I'll take photos of the progress as it occurs.

Other than that, there is more freedom on the farm to explore. Personally I am interested in water systems, from water conservation, irrigation and purification for consumption. I also am thinking of making a solar hot water heater. They say the nights get chilly here in the mountains near Chiang Mai, so a little warm water will be worth investigating. Should be easy enough- there is plenty of sunshine and all you need is black-coloured hose snaked like a radiator.

In the meantime, I keep puttering on the lean-to and the lands around it. My GF pitches in too. She's the best!


No comments:

Post a Comment